We are currently hiring a Senior Staff Attorney.
Working Washington and Fair Work Center seek a Senior Staff Attorney dedicated to advancing the rights of low-wage, immigrant, and contingent workers. They will play a central role in the design and launch of an expanded initiative focused on advancing the rights of agricultural workers in Eastern Washington who have organized to protect themselves in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are looking for an attorney committed to using their legal training to build the power of Washington’s working people. This position will report to the Legal Director and is currently funded for one year.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Fair Work Center and Working Washington joined forces in 2018. Together, we fight for new rights for working people and make those rights real through community-based education and legal services, all while building a powerful movement of working people. We are the national leader in organizing delivery workers in the gig economy, leading Instacart, DoorDash, and Amazon to change their tipping policies. We led the effort to expand overtime protections for Washington’s salaried workers, and in 2019 passed safety and health protections for strippers. We’ve trained hundreds of farmworkers in Eastern Washington about their rights at work, and we continue to organize domestic workers to enforce Seattle’s groundbreaking Bill of Rights.
Our Legal Clinic works to ensure that workers know their rights under city, state, and federal law and that employers are held accountable to labor standards. We provide free individual consultations, pro se assistance, representation in administrative enforcement processes, and maintain an active litigation docket in state and federal court. Over the past five years we have served thousands of workers and have put over a million dollars back in workers’ pockets. In addition to direct representation our attorneys provide policy analysis, research, and enforcement strategy support to our campaigns, working closely with our organizing and education teams. We envision a society in which all workers have access to safe, dignified, and well-paying jobs.
Since 2016, Fair Work Center and Working Washington have provided community education for agricultural workers in the Yakima Valley. Our organization has recently received funding to expand our capacity to support Eastern Washington workers, including for the first time Yakima-based legal staff. The Senior Staff Attorney will play a critical leadership role in establishing the Yakima-based legal clinic and ensuring the success of the expansion. They will be expected to:
- Work with the Legal, Education, and Executive Directors to set the strategic direction of the Legal Clinic’s Yakima program by identifying industry specific priorities and legal strategies to respond to those priorities;
- Develop relationships with Yakima-based legal services providers, labor, and other community partners and leaders to develop and grow program;
- Support the Legal Director in developing the necessary infrastructure for the Yakima-based clinic, including but not limited to case management and database systems, calendaring and communication systems;
- Support the Legal Director in the hiring of new staff and supervising and co-counseling with staff attorneys as needed on individual cases in litigation and before administrative agencies;
- Oversee client consultations and direct representation, ensuring quality and timeliness of information provided;
- Represent the organization in coalitions and in meetings with co-counsel, partner organizations, and employer and government representatives;
- Support training and education initiatives that build the capacity of worker leaders to enforce existing workplace protections;
- Collaborate with Fair Work Center and Working Washington staff to design, implement, and support campaigns advancing the rights of workers in priority industries, particularly agriculture;
- Other duties as assigned by the Legal Director.
- Admitted in Washington, or intending to apply for admission as soon as possible;
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice, and to the mission 0f the Fair Work Center and Working Washington;
- At least four years of experience in employment, labor, immigration, or health and safety law;
- Excellent legal research, analysis, and writing skills;
- Ability to think strategically, explore creative solutions to problems, and communicate effectively with colleagues, partners, and policymakers;
- Ability to work collaboratively with community educators and organizers;
- Spanish language proficiency.
$72,000 – $85,000, commensurate with experience. This is an exempt position generally based either in our Yakima office, or in Seattle with regular travel to Yakima; work may be performed remotely as necessary due to COVID-19. Position comes with robust benefits, including health insurance, retirement with employer match, and commuter benefit.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (not to exceed 10 pages) to Danielle Alvarado (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the applicant’s last name and “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. In your cover letter, let us know why you’re interested in this role, what skills you have that you believe will make you successful in this role, and how those skills have shown up in your work in the past. Please feel free to share any experience you have with low-wage work. Submissions will be accepted through July 31, 2020 and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Fair Work Center and Working Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We bring an equity lens to hiring and strongly encourage people of color, immigrants, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, trans, and gender non-conforming people to apply. We seek candidates whose lived experiences reflect the lived experiences of the workers organizing with our campaigns. If you need disability, language or other accommodation in the application process, please contact Zhi Chen at email@example.com
Download a PDF copy of this listing: FWC Yakima Senior Staff Attorney